So it is time for the first ever Music Mastani Monthly Awards! 😀
The month of May 2014 was a mixed one in terms of music.
Kochadaiiyaan‘s music, which had released in March itself, was brilliantly scored by A.R. Rahman, and easily one of his best works. The songs, which were based mostly on traditional Indian music, were superhits in the south, but the Hindi version failed to get as much notice in the north as the Tamil and Telugu versions got in the south. With a long troupe of famous singers like Arijit Singh, Shreya Ghoshal and Javed Ali to name a few, the music for this film was awesome and worth remembering.
Next came Purani Jeans. The music was composed by Ram Sampath, who gave some great songs in the movie overall, but again, the music wasn’t noticed as much, and that affected the movie too. The track ‘Dil Aaj Kal’ sung by K.K. and Sona Mohapatra in two different versions was the only stand-out-in-bold track, which is a very sweet romantic track.
After that, Himesh Reshammiya made a comeback (again!) 😛 with his film, The Xposé, with awesome music for it as well. The songs were massy hits, with a few songs for the classy as well. Songs like ‘Ice Cream’, ‘Dard Dilo Ke’ and ‘Catch Me If You Can’ managed the masses, whereas songs like ‘Sheeshe Ka Samundar’ and ‘Surroor’ were appreciated by all. After a dull year last year, he came back with a bang this year.
When Hitesh Sonik came with the music Hawaa Hawaai, he touched everyone’s heart with his soulful music, and also two fast-paced tracks. Again, due to bad promotion strategies, however, the music wasn’t noticed that much, and neither was it valued.
The great music continued with Heropanti, which was a multi-composer album. Songs by Manj Musik, ‘Whistle Baja’ and ‘The Pappi Song’ (I don’t know how that ‘fly’ became a hit, but maybe because of the video ) became hits, and Sajid-Wajid’s three tracks were literally playing everywhere! Mohit Chauhan got two more great songs in his kitty.
Then Jeet Gannguli took everyone with surprise with his awesome score for Citylights, with all songs instantly getting loved by all. We even got a very talented new lyricist, Rashmi Singh! The songs ‘Muskurane’, ‘Darbadar’, ‘Soney Do’ and ‘Ek Charraiya’ got and deserved to get lots of praise.
The month ended on a very bad note, with the worst album of the year so far, in my opinion, Kuku Mathur Ki Jhand Ho Gayi, in which no songs are such that you would hear them next month also. 😛
So, here is what you have been reading this for:- The Awards! I hope you agree with the winners! 🙂
1st Music Mastani Monthly Awards (May 2014)
♪ MAIN AWARDS
• Singer of the Month (Female) :- Neeti Mohan for Darbadar (Citylights)
• Singer of the Month (Male) :- Ankit Tiwari for Sheeshe Ka Samundar (The Xposé)
• Composer of the Month (Song) :- Himesh Reshammiya for Sheeshe Ka Samundar (The Xposé)
• Composer of the Month (Album) :- Jeet Gannguli for Citylights & A.R. Rahman for Kochadaiiyaan
• Album of the Month :- Citylights (Sony Music)
• Musical Jodi of the Month (Best Duet) :- Arijit Singh & Jonita Gandhi for Dil Chaspiya (Kochadaiiyaan)
• Lyricist of the Month :- Rashmi Singh for Ek Charraiya (Citylights)
♪ SONG AWARDS
• Best Romantic Song :- Dil Aaj Kal (Purani Jeans)
• Best Dance Song :- Ice Cream (The Xposé)
• Best Sad Song :- Dard Dilo Ke (The Xposé)
• Best Club Song :- Raat Bhar (Heropanti)
• Best Classical-Based Song :- Sheeshe Ka Samundar (The Xposé)
• Song With Best Use of Fusion :- Soney Do (Citylights)
• Best Song With Western Influence :- Catch Me If You Can (The Xposé)
• Best Song With Folk Influence :- Ek Charraiya (Citylights)
♪ SPECIAL AWARDS
• Bandar Kya Jaane Adrak Ka Swaad (Best Album That Went Pretty Much Unnoticed) :- Hawaa Hawaai (Hitesh Sonik & Amole Gupte – Zee Music Company/Sony Music)
• Newcomer of the Month :- Rashmi Singh (Lyricist for ‘Citylights’)
And finally, you get to vote, for the Popular Awards! Please vote, the nominations are given below!
♪ POPULAR AWARDS
Don’t forget to press the vote button in each poll above! Or else your votes won’t be counted! 🙂
I hope you all agreed with the winners! I hope you all voted, too! This is how the awards will be announced each month! I hope you all enjoyed voting! 🙂
Next:- Holiday (Music Review), Chef:- Pritam Chakraborty