The time has finally come for the 3rd Music Mastani Monthly Awards!!
This July was a month with average music. Most of the big albums didn’t exactly meet expectations, whereas some of the small albums did surprise. Let’s have a quick look back at the albums that released this month and then start with the actual awards.
The first album to release was Lekar Hum Deewana Dil, composed by the Maestro A.R. Rahman. It was full of songs which connected well with the youth, and also gave some Rahman Gems like ‘Beqasoor’ and ‘Ala Hada’. The peppy tracks like ‘Khalifa’ and ‘Mawali Qawwali’ also impressed a lot. The lyrics by Amitabh Bhattacharya were also pretty impressive! The only below average track was ‘Tu Shining’, but that can be forgiven because the rest of the album was just beautiful.
Next up came Bobby Jasoos, by Shantanu Moitra with lyrics by Swanand Kirkire. Now this album was a bit of a disappointment, with some average songs, but one stand-out song in this album was ‘Tu’, and it was a piece of sheer brilliance. Though the rest of the songs were forgettable, this one had the capacity to grab listeners till the last second of its long duration of seven minutes.
Humpty Sharma Ki Dulhania came next, with three songs each by Sachin-Jigar and Sharib-Toshi. Two of the three songs by Sharib-Toshi were recreated, out of which ‘Samjhawan’ was the better one. Sachin-Jigar came up with entertaining songs, but the effect came only after watching the attractive Dharma picturisations, otherwise the songs didn’t work that much.
Hate Story 2 came next with four composers each composing one song. Rashid Khan and Meet Bros. Anjjan weren’t able to come up with exceptional compositions. I would say they were average. However, Arko Pravo Mukherjee and Mithoon gave the two better songs of the soundtrack.
Amit Sahni Ki List had a horde of composers behind it, and out of them, Raghu Dixit managed to impress with one song, Palash Muchhal impressed somewhat with two, and Shivi R. Kashyap composed a pretty entertaining Western-influenced track. Karthick Iyer also impressed a lot with his instrumental piece. Other songs failed to get attention.
Next came Pizza 3D, another multi-composer album, with songs like ‘Tum Chal Diye’, its reprise, and ‘Theher Ja’ being the best tracks. Saurabh Kalsi, Gaurav Godkhindi & Ramon Ibrahim shouldn’t have a problem in bagging more films in the future. Mikey McCleary also showed some interesting elements in his song ‘Gimme Pizza!’ while Shamir Tandon disappointed.
Last came the most awaited Kick, which was yet another multi-composer album with an excess of songs which were mostly reprises and remixes. 😛 Himesh Reshammiya composed a brilliant ‘Tu Hi Tu’ and Meet Bros. Anjjan impressed with their ‘Hangover’ and their second song ‘Hai Yehi Zindagi’ to some extent. Yo Yo Honey Singh made a strictly underperforming song with absurd vocals.
I had also reviewed the Marathi movie Lai Bhaari, which had a brilliant soundtrack by Ajay-Atul. This will not be considered in the awards, unfortunately, but I would say that it had a very very good album, with a great variety of songs.
So now for the actual awards!!
3rd Music Mastani Monthly Awards
3rd Music Mastani Monthly Awards (July 2014)
♪ MAIN AWARDS
• Singer of the Month (Female) :- Jonita Gandhi for Maaloom (Lekar Hum Deewana Dil)
• Singer of the Month (Male) :- Papon for Tu (Bobby Jasoos)
• Composer of the Month (Song) :- Shantanu Moitra for Tu (Bobby Jasoos)
• Composer of the Month (Album) :- A.R. Rahman for Lekar Hum Deewana Dil
• Album of the Month:- Lekar Hum Deewana Dil (Eros Music)
• Musical Jodi of the Month:- Papon & Shreya Ghoshal for Tu & Tu – Reprise (Bobby Jasoos)
• Lyricist of the Month:- Amitabh Bhattacharya for Ala Hada (Lekar Hum Deewana Dil)
♪ SONG AWARDS
• Best Romantic Song:- Tu (Bobby Jasoos) & Beqasoor (Lekar Hum Deewana Dil)
• Best Dance Song:- Mawali Qawwali (Lekar Hum Deewana Dil)
• Best Sad Song:- Ala Hada (Lekar Hum Deewana Dil)
• Best Club Song:- Khalifa (Lekar Hum Deewana Dil)
• Best Classical-Based Song:- Tu (Bobby Jasoos)
• Song With Best Use of Fusion:- Gimme Pizza! (Pizza 3D)
• Best Song With a Western Influence:- Tum Chal Diye (Pizza 3D)
• Best Song With a Folk Influence:- Mawali Qawwali (Lekar Hum Deewana Dil)
♪ SPECIAL AWARDS
• Bandar Kya Jaane Adrak Ka Swad (Best Album That Went Pretty Much Unnoticed) :- Pizza 3D (UTV/Times Music/Junglee Music)
• Newcomer(s) of the Month:-
– Best Female Singer (Newcomer) :- Aparna Dauria for Theher Ja (Pizza 3D)
– Best Male Singer (Newcomer) :- Hriday Gattani for Maaloom (Lekar Hum Deewana Dil)
– Best Composer (Newcomer) :- Saurabh Kalsi for Tum Chal Diye (Pizza 3D)
I hope you all are content with the winners! And now it’s your turn to vote for the popular awards!
♪ POPULAR AWARDS
Thanks a lot for voting! I hope you saw your favorites in the nominations! You have 24 hours to vote, and the winners will be announced after 24 hours. Please call your friends to vote as well! Let the best ones win!! 🙂
Next:- 3rd Music Mastani Monthly Awards (Popular Awards Results) & Main Tera Hero (Music Review)